Monday, January 04, 2010

Oct 2005

Oct 1, 2005
Chain, chain, chain

This evening i feel like linking up a chain of simple pleasures starting from a few minutes ago. It's been a while since I've been here so where better to start than...

Hallo. Hallo. Hallo. Hallo. Hallo. Hallo. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Public Image Limited's eponymous first single. It was on the radio just before. How fabulous to break the mould with the Sex Pistols and then break it again as soon as you leave.

Dub reggae - The echoey Hallo of PIL reminds me of the transcendental ethereal vibe of Dub.

45s - Seven perfect inches of black vinyl. Dub makes me think of buying records in Jamaica. Wrong and missing labels. Relying on the recommendations of the record shop keeper.

Rooms with unglazed windows/fresh air flowing in i.e. with a hole in a wall - the lounge in Noel Coward's house east of Ocho Rios - a widescreen window open to the elements looking out along the coast


True friends - I was in Ochi for my friend Nigel's wedding - he sent a text the day of the London bombings this summer which reminded me how true a friend he is

I think I'll wrap up tonight on London, the city of my birth, the greatest on Earth (in my eyes) - earlier today I walked along a beautiful brookside walk within the bounds of London - from the corner of Dollis Brook in the dappled shade of a horse chestnut tree where the enfants terribles launched polished conkers into the stream - i so love the sound of running water - it turns into the River Brent which eventually flows into the Thames, a wonderful chain of water which links into a wonderful chain of seas which binds us all together.



Comments for this entry:

1. drifting wrote at Oct 2, 2005 at 06:59 o\clock:

What a lovely idea - your chain of simple pleasures.

London is my favourite city - love it. Was last there the day before the bombing.

No comments: